Dance for the ears
A choreographic sound installation by Nicole Seiler (13 minutes)
Palimpsest is a dance performance that can be listened to via your smartphone and experienced individually on-site. It is a choreographic spatial discovery of the Theater Casino Zug.
In March 2020, artists and audiences were abruptly separated from one another and from the stage. The “Palimpsest” choreographic sound installation reunites them all, with the dancer in a private room and the public able to experience the audio performance at the theatrical location. The performer, the locations and the audience all come together as one in the moment via audio descriptions. The location in which the presence of the performance will reverberate, and the performer, in whom the presence of the location will similarly be echoed, will melt into one – courtesy of the presence of those listening at the venue. This is dance as an embodiment of the unprecedented times we live in.
How to experience “Palimpsest” at the Theater Casino Zug:
1. Bring your smartphone and ideally a set of headphones
2. Download the Palimpsest app on your smartphone via www.palimpsest-app.ch before or when you get to the Theater Casino Zug foyer.
3. Connect to the Internet. When you are in the Theater Casino Zug foyer, you can log in to use our guest Wi-Fi: “Gast Theater Casino Zug”.
4. Since the audio installation is directly linked to the venue, the app will ask for permission to access your location. Please accept this.
5. In the app, choose “Zug”.
6. Whenever you are in proximity to one of our entrances, you will be able to listen to the geo-tagged audio file for the Theater Casino Zug. This only works when you are at the venue.
Regardless of your location, the app will give you access to additional background information.
7. Listen to and follow the voice through the Theater Casino Zug foyer.
Palimpsest explores the poetic potential of audio description. A location-specific audio work will turn you – the listener – into a moving performer as you conjure up images of your own ephemeral stages. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Nicole Seiler created Palimpsest in early 2020 – a special series that recreates the link between dancers, audiences and performance venues.
Nicole Seiler was born in Zurich in 1970. She spent much of her childhood in Cham and went to her first ballet lessons in Zug. After studying dance and theatre, she worked with a number of different ensembles and in 2002, founded her own dance company in Lausanne, where she now lives. For the past few years, she has been concentrating her creative artistic talents on the relationship between image and sound. She has developed stage pieces, dance videos, installations and site-specific performances which all focus on the presence of the audience and their interpretation. The company has been touring internationally since 2004.
“Palimpsest in Zug took me back to my roots as a dancer. I got to perform on-stage at the Theater Casino Zug as a youngster and it really was something special for me to come back and get to grips with this venue once again.“
Concept and direction: Nicole Seiler. Dialogue: Séverine Skierski. Voice: Cathrin Strömer, Music: Jérérmie Conne. Dance: Katrin Kolo.
Production: Cie Nicole Seiler, www.nicoleseiler.com
Co-production: Arsenic, centre d’art scénique contemporain, Lausanne, far° festival des arts vivants, Nyon, Theater Casino Zug
This project benefits from the support of the City of Lausanne, the Canton of Vaud, Pro Helvetia – Swiss Cultural Foundation, Loterie Romande, the Ernst Göhner Foundation and CORODIS.